Give Away Weekend
The fall Give Away Weekend will take place on Saturday, October 21 and Sunday, October 22, 2017
Don’t put your unwanted stuff in the garbage. Set them out at the curb on Give Away Weekend. Tour your neighbourhood, community and city to find hidden treasures.
Examples of acceptable items
- Books, CDs and DVDs
- Old furniture and small appliances
- Construction materials including drywall and hardware such as nails, bolts and screws
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Unwanted gifts
Please consider safety when deciding which items to set out to the curb. The Consumer Product Safety Bureau(link is external)of Health Canada advises that used children’s items such as baby walkers, yo-yo balls, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds, toys and other child-related items should not be placed at the curb for Giveaway Weekend.
Rules for setting out items
- Place items at the curb
- Place stickers or signsPDF opens in a new tab or window on items with the word “FREE”
- Ensure any items you want to keep are away from your giveaway treasures or tucked away safely in your garage
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back to your home
Give Away Weekend etiquette
- Respect other people’s property, don’t walk on people’s lawns and gardens
- Take only the treasures marked free at the curb
We wish you best of luck in finding hidden treasures. It’s another way to reduce our waste and protect our most precious treasure – the environment
- Leftover items can be donated to charitable organizations.
- Visit usedottawa.com(link is external) to buy, sell, and give away used items.
- Check out FullCirclesOttawa(link is external) who encourage the re-use of items that are already out in society and are no longer needed in their original homes.
- Other websites to help get rid of unwanted items include Ottawa Freecycle(link is external), Craigslist(link is external) and Kijiji(link is external).
- Use our Waste Explorer to determine how to get rid of items that are not allowed to be placed curbside for garbage collection.